Why Placement Testing?
First-time college students and any non-exempt students who plan to earn a degree are required by ENMU-Ruidoso to place into courses based on an approved college skills placement test called ACCUPLACER.
Distance Education students who are new to ENMU-Ruidoso may have to take placement tests before enrolling in classes. Testing can be completed at community colleges and other educational institutions around the country. ENMU-Ruidoso only accepts the ACCUPLACER test.
ENMU-Ruidoso’s ACCUPLACER Placement Testing covers the subjects of math, reading and sentence skills. ACCUPLACER requires no prior computer skills and the placement test is an untimed adaptive test.
The placement test is very important. We advise you to review the math, reading, and sentence skills materials made available at the ACCUPLACER website before you take the test. Please read the directions carefully and do your very best work when taking the test. Assessing for skill levels ensures placement into proper beginning courses, and aids in smooth transitioning from one semester’s course to the next.
Who needs to be assessed?
- All first-time degree-seeking, non-exempt students must be assessed.
- Students who change to a degree-seeking status must be assessed.
- Students who seek to enter college-level English or Math courses must be assessed.
Who can be exempted from the test?
Exemptions from taking ACCUPLACER may be granted under certain circumstances. College courses must be from regionally accredited colleges or universities or other approved educational institutions. Please bring documentation to one of the three to Studnet Advising to check elgibilty.
- Student has earned an Associate’s Degree (AA or AS) or higher.
- Student has successfully completed college-level English.
- Student has successfully completed college-level Algebra or higher.
- Student has appropriate ACT (Eng 18, Read 17, Math 23) / SAT (Verb 440, Math 460) scores.
Where can I take the test?
ENMU-Ruidoso Testing Center, 709 Mechem Dr. Ruidoso, NM 88345 · 575-257-2120
How do I prepare for the test?
- Reading Practice Test #1: http://wcb.neit.edu/asc/readprc1.htm
Reading Practice Test #2: http://wcb.neit.edu/asc/readprc2.htmArithmetic Practice Test #1: http://wcb.neit.edu/asc/arithprc.htm
Arithmetic Practice Test #2: http://wcb.neit.edu/asc/arithprc2.htm
- ACCUPLACER™ online study guides can be found with a Yahoo or Google search engines by typing in “Accuplacer study guides,” note some sites may incur fees.
- These sites are not associated with ENMU-Ruidoso and are only provided to give useful information and are not intended to instruct in subject areas.
What do I need to take the test?
When you arrive at the Testing Center you must have a valid current picture ID and if possible, know your student ID number. You may NOT use textbooks, notebooks, dictionaries or calculators during the test. In the math portion of the test you may use the built in calculator when the program provides one. Pencils and scratch paper will be provided for you.
Appointments can be made by calling 575-257-2120 or email email@example.com.
The test is not timed, but you need to allow approximately two hours for testing.
Please respect the needs of other students that are testing. Do not bring cell phones or pagers, and arrange for childcare for any children.
How do I get my results?
ACCUPLACER: You will receive your score report a few minutes after finishing the test.
What is next after testing?
DO NOT LOSE your ACCUPLACER score report! Take it to the Student Services office for help in choosing your classes.
What is the charge for the test?
There is no fee for Accuplacer Placement testing for first-time new students to ENMU-Ruidoso.