Documents Needed

Your Full Legal Name: Use the name you use for legal documents, do not use nicknames.

Your Social Security Number: You will be asked for your SSN.

Your Driver’s License Number: If you have one.

Your Alien Registration Number: If you are not a U.S. citizen.

Your Email Address: You will need an email address. If you do not have one, you will need to create one.

Your Federal Tax Paperwork and Your W-2s: FAFSA run on fiscal year of Fall (Aug)-Spring (Jan) year, you will use federal tax paperwork from January to December the prior-prior year. (i.e., Fall 2017 application = Taxes for 2015)

The IRS offers help to students and families to get tax information for Student Financial Aid Applications. For more information: Help For Students/Families Information

To order an IRS Tax Transcript: IRS Tax Transcript

Records of your untaxed income: such as child support received, interest income and veteran’s non-education benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.

Other Assets: Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student

IF YOU ARE LESS THAN 24 AND: are not married, do not have children, are not a veteran or active duty, not emancipated by the court, not adopted, or not homeless;

for financial aid purposes, you are classified as a “dependent student”

AND you will also need to have your parent’s or one of your parent’s, whichever would be considered to have custody over you, Federal Tax Paperwork and W-2(s) with the Social Security Number(s).

You will be asked for a school code when filling out the FAFSA. Our School Code: 002651 – This is the school code that we use. It is also for ENMU-Portales. Once it is entered, it will be matched with our admissions since our admissions is separate from Portales. You may have noticed when you applied for admissions. If you have not applied yet, you will notice when you do that the application will ask you which campus, and you can check the Ruidoso Campus.

FSA ID #: Federal Student Aid ID Number. If you have never applied for financial aid before, you will need to Create an FSA ID Number. It is a Username and Password to Log In to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Once you create it, keep it in a safe place. If you have applied before, it will be the same one you had before. The student and parent do not share the FSA ID, each will have their own. The FSA ID is used to sign legally binding documents electronically and is not to be shared with anyone. If you forget your Username and Password, your Federal Student Aid account is set up with challenge questions to assist you to retrieve it.

For more information: FSA ID Number Information