VA Education Benefits

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®, Active Duty

Note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at


Must have completed 2 or 4 year contract (or more) with any branch of the military services. Payable after 2 years of continuous active duty.

To Apply

  • Fill out an Application for VA Educational Benefits, 22-1990.
  • Submit copy of your Veteran’s DD-214 discharge papers, Kicker paperwork (if applicable), and a copy of your class schedule to UND Veteran and Nontraditional Student Services.


Chapter 30 students are eligible for benefits for 36 school months based on number of credits enrolled in school (numbers are based on an academic school year). May extend to the end of the term if the benefits expire during the term. Note: If there is a kicker, the kicker does not extend.

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation


Usually, you must first be awarded a monthly VA disability compensation payment. In some cases, you may be eligible if you aren’t getting VA compensation. For example, if you are awaiting discharge from the service because of a disability you may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation.

To be eligible you must also meet the following conditions:

  • You served on or after September 16, 1940, AND
  • Your service-connected disabilities (SCD) are rated at least 20% disabling by VA, AND
  • You need Vocational Rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap, AND
  • It has been less than 12 years since VA notified you of your qualified SCD.

To Apply

You will need to create a VONAPP account or login using your existing account and fill out Vocational Rehabilitation Form 28-1900.


The DVA may pay the cost of tuition, fees, books, equipment, and supplies. You will also receive a monthly subsistence allowance. This benefit may be provided for up to 48 months and you generally have 12 years from the date you are notified of the entitlement to use the benefits.

Chapter 32: Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program


The Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) is an educational benefit for veterans who paid into VEAP while they were in the service.

You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:

  • You were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • You first entered active duty after December 31, 1976, and July 1, 1985.
  • You contributed to VEAP before April 1, 1987.
  • You served long enough to qualify.

To Apply

To apply for VEAP benefits, you need to fill out a 22-1990: Application for VA Educational Benefits.


Eligible veterans may be entitled to as much as 36 months of training. Eligibility usually ends 10 years after getting out of the service, but the time limit can be longer in some cases. Eligible veterans may pursue any of the following types of training:

  • College or University Programs
  • Business, Technical or Vocational Training
  • Apprenticeships/On-the-Job Training
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Flight Training
  • High School Diploma or equivalent

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® applies to individuals who have served in the Armed Forces on or after September 11, 2001. Education benefits can also be transferred from this individual to their spouse and/or dependents. Click here for more information on Chapter 33.

Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependents


You must be the child or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Period of Eligibility

If you’re a child of an eligible veteran and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit.

If you’re in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday; there are some exceptions.

If you’re a spouse of an eligible veteran, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the veteran.

For surviving spouses (spouses of service members who died on active duty) benefits end 20 years from the date of death.

To Apply

To apply for Chapter 35 benefits, you need to fill out an Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance, form 22-5490. Also needed is a copy of the Veteran’s DD-214 form and a copy of your schedule.

State Waiver

If you’re a New Mexico Veteran, or have lived in New Mexico for 10 years prior to request for the tuition waiver, you’re eligible for a New Mexico State Tuition Waiver. To verify New Mexico Veteran status, we need a copy of your DD-214. To verify residency, we need a receipt of taxes paid or New Mexico driver’s license for the past 10 years. The state will then waive your tuition (minus fees) for the semester/academic year. This applies only to a bachelor’s degree earned within 45 months or 10 semesters.

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months or 10 semesters of education benefits for an undergraduate degree.

These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you’re a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill®, Selected Reserve


Members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard Reserves, the Army National Guard, and the Air Guard are eligible for MGIB-SR (chapter 1606). The Reserve and Guard components decide who is eligible for the program. VA makes the payments for training.


Requirements are:

  • A 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserves
  • Complete Initial Active Duty for Training
  • Meet the requirements for a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before applying for benefits
  • Remain in good standing in a Selected Reserve Unit

To Apply

To apply for Chapter 1606 benefits, fill out an Application for VA Educational Benefits, 22-1990. Also needed is a copy of your DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) papers, Kicker paperwork (if applicable), and a copy of your schedule.


Chapter 1606 students are eligible for benefits for 36 school months based on number of credits enrolled in school (numbers are based on an academic school year).

View Current Rates

Chapter 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)


The Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine the criteria for eligibility. The law requires DoD to give you written notification of eligibility for REAP.

A member of a reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code for a contingency operation and who serves at least 90 consecutive days or more is eligible for chapter 1607.

National Guard members also are eligible if their active duty is under section 502(f), title 32 U.S.C. and they serve for 90 consecutive days when authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency and is supported by federal funds.

Individuals are eligible as soon as they reach the 90-day point whether or not they are currently on active duty. DoD will fully identify contingency operations that qualify for benefits under chapter 1607.

Disabled members who are injured or have an illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty and are released from active duty before completing 90 consecutive days are also eligible.

If you leave the active Guard/Reserve and are no longer drilling, you may be eligible for remaining Chapter 1606 benefits for the time deployed plus 4 months. You have to request it with the VA or it won’t be processed. This rate would be the basic rate with no added kickers. Not eligible for Chapter 1607 benefits once you are no longer actively drilling.

To Apply

To apply for Chapter 1607 benefits, fill out an Application for VA Educational Benefits, 22-1990 if you have never used GI Bill® benefits before. If you have used GI Bill® benefits, you need to complete form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

Also needed is a copy of the Veteran’s DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) papers, a copy of your DD-214, Kicker paperwork (if applicable), and copy of orders to verify time deployed to calculate correct monthly rate.


Chapter 1607 students are eligible for benefits for 36 school months at the following rates, based on number of credits enrolled in school in an academic school year

View Current Rates