Certificate of Occupational Training
19 credit hours
The Culinary Fundamentals program is designed to equip students with basic skills in culinary arts. The program provides instruction in culinary concepts and terminology, kitchen safety and sanitation, equipment usage, basic nutritional guidelines, standard and metric measurements, food costing, and theory and practice in the production of culinary products. Courses emphasize fundamental cooking techniques and preparation methods for hot foods, breakfast items, salads, sandwiches, dressings, breads, and pastries.
Upon completion of the certificate students will be able to:
- Identify proper ServSafe sanitation and safety practices.
- Demonstrate proficiency In basic culinary weight and volume measuring and proper recipe conversion, including high altitude adjustments.
- Demonstrate basic cooking techniques.
- Demonstrate basic baking techniques.
- Demonstrate proper knife care and handling.
- Prepare hot and cold appetizers and demonstrate how to properly display on a buffet.
- Properly demonstrate Food Costing and Menu Pricing.
- Design and prepare a well-composed dinner plate.