Verification is the process utilized by the Financial Aid Department to confirm accuracy of the data reported by the student/parent on the student’s FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
The U.S. Department of Education selects approximately 30% of all aid applicants for verification. Eligibility cannot be determined until the verification process is completed.
It is the student’s responsibility to actively check available methods of communication and respond to any document requests in a timely manner. ENMU-Ruidoso wants to partner with students in a pro-active approach by providing the following steps:
STEP 1: Verification is Requested
Once a student is selected for verification, he/she may receive a verification request letter in one of the following ways:
- Self-Service Banner (SSB) in the MyENMU-Ruidoso Portal.
- Student’s ENMU email account. (Can also be found in MyENMU-Ruidoso Portal)
- Student’s mailing address through the U.S. Postal Service.
STEP 2: Submit ALL Documents Requested
READ the Request for Verification letter to find out which forms or documents that are being requested and need to be confirmed for accuracy. These are the forms and documents the student will need to submit for verification to the Financial Aid Office.
Students classified as dependent, according to the Federal Financial Aid Department, will also need to submit parent(s) information.
Gather and complete any and all Financial Aid Forms requested. Delays in submitting requested documentation will lead to delays in receiving financial aid.
STEP 3: Submit Documentation to the Office of Financial Aid – ENMU
After all documents are completed and attached, keep a copy for student records, submit to ENMU-Portales Main Campus in one of the following ways:
- Electronically: Scan documents and email to: Financial.Aid@enmu.edu. Students can take the completed documents to ENMU-Ruidoso and request the Success Emporium to scan/email the documents to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Fax: Students can fax completed forms and documents to the Office of Financial Aid (575) 562-2198 (Fax Number). Students can also request the ENMU-Ruidoso Success Emporium to fax the documents to the Office of Financial Aid.
- U.S. Postal Service: Students can mail the documents to the following mailing address:
Office of Financial Aid
ENMU Station 20
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
- Hand Deliver: Students can hand deliver the documents to the following address:
Eastern New Mexico University, 1500 S Avenue K, Portales, NM 88130
STEP 4: Look for Clarification Letter or Award Letter
If all paperwork is satisfactory, a Financial Aid Award Letter will be sent to the student’s ENMU email account.
If additional clarification is required, another email will be sent to the student’s ENMU email account with directions for what action to take. Students should check their ENMU email accounts often.